Blueberries have anti-aging superpowers!
So, why don’t make a delicious Blueberry Tart with Walnut Crust?
Here’s the recipe:
- 1/2 cup walnuts, lightly toasted (see Tip)
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs, preferably whole-wheat (see Note)
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon peanut or canola oil
- Pinch of salt
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), softened
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, preferably grade B, divided
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- To prepare crust: Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Coarsely chop walnuts in a food processor. Add graham cracker crumbs and process until the mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Whisk egg white in a medium bowl until frothy. Add the crumb mixture, butter, oil and salt; toss to combine. Press the mixture into the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of a 9-inch removable-bottom tart pan. Set the pan on a baking sheet. Bake until dry and slightly darker around the edges, about 8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare filling: Beat cream cheese, sour cream and 1/4 cup maple syrup in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth. When the crust is cool, spread the filling evenly into it, being careful not to break up the delicate crust. Arrange blueberries on the filling, pressing lightly so they set in. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons maple syrup over the berries. Chill for at least 1 hour to firm up.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 1 day. | Equipment: 9-inch removable-bottom tart pan
- Tip: To toast walnuts, spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
- Note: To avoid trans fats, look for graham crackers without partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. To make crumbs, pulse graham crackers in a food processor or place in a large sealable plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. (You’ll need about 14 whole-wheat graham cracker squares to make 1 cup of crumbs.)
- Per serving: 177 calories; 11 g fat ( 4 g sat , 3 g mono ); 18 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 138 mg sodium; 103 mg potassium.
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1
- Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (other), 2 fat
Powered by Facebook Comments